Has it been a day and you want to know the ways to get rid of hickeys? To find the most effective method for removal of a hickey, we have mentioned the best tried and tested methods for your convenience.
If you want to get rid of a kiss mark which is less than 12 hours old, then try the “Spoon and Ice cube Method”. If you want to remove a kiss mark which are more than 48 hours old, then try the “Heat Pack Method”.
As you might have experienced, a night full of fun and enjoyment could turn into an embarrassing experience in a moment. You spend a night with your partner and things get a little passionate, and when you wake up, you find out you have got a hickey. Kissing is an art they say. The mark you get isn’t that artistic or is it?
The next thing you do is google How to get rid of love bites or hickeys. Giving hickeys can be a lot of fun, but not quite so; if you are at the receiving end. Although the below mentioned methods are extremely effective and produce results, you should try to hide them if the trouble is knocking at your door. Read the article on way of covering up a hickey?’ for more information.
How do you get a hickey?
When your partner sucks on your skin hard, it can result in a red blotch; a nasty looking red mark. The harder your partner kisses on your neck or any other body part, the redder it would be the next day. As it turns out, love bites are not that fun. Are they? You may want to have a look at methods tailored to remove hickies from neck.
Get Rid of Hickeys
Although love bites are not a huge medical problem, they can be troublesome if you are a teenager and your parents see it. They might want to know where you spent the last night, and what were you exactly up to. Believe me, they know enough about kiss marks to out-rightly reject your explanations and excuses. There is no need to freak out, if you use your head right, you can remove kiss marks easily and quickly.
The Spoon and Ice-cube method
The best method to get rid of a hickey quickly is by using the spoon and an ice-cube method. This method is effective if less than 12 hours have passed by. The quicker you use this method, the more effective it would be. Before you start off, you would need an ice cube, a spoon, and eye drops. Follow the instructions given below in the sequential order.
- Step 1: Take an ice cube and place it in a spoon. Firmly hold the ice cube so it does not fall off.
- Step 2: Place the back of the spoon on your neck and slowly move it in the clockwise direction for 30 seconds or so.
- Step 3: Now do the same step but this time, move the spoon in the counter clockwise direction for the same duration.
- Step 4: Take a few eye drops and apply them on the swelling area. Wait for a minute after applying it. Now rinse it off with cold water. It should take away the redness from your skin and the mark should not be visible.
Note: Repeat the above mentioned steps if the redness is still there.
- Step 5: Apply the concealer to hide the mark and massage for a short while. It should completely blend the remainder of the redness into the skin. The green tinted concealer is found to be most effective as it has been designed to hide the red skin marks.
Be careful and do not apply the ice directly to your skin as it can make the hickey worse. If the method does not work out, try and hide it. Tell us whether you were able to get rid of a hickey fast.
Has your hickey stuck for more than 2 day?
For a kiss mark or a love bite that has stuck for more than 2 day, it is recommended that you use this method. The blood vessels heal within 48 hours and penetration of blood in that area can make the kiss mark disappear. Do not use this method if at least 48 hours have not passed by as it can make the hickeys worse rather than healing them. To make hickeys disappear using this method, you would need a heat pack or a towel.
- Step 1: Place the heat pack on the kiss mark for several minutes i.e. 10-15 minutes.
In case you do not have a heat pack, soak the towel in hot water and place it on the skin. When the towel cools down, heat it again and place it on the love bite mark. Keep doing it for 10 to 15 minutes and the bruise should become less evident.
- Step 2: Apply the concealer to blend the redness into the skin.
Make sure that the heat pack or the towel is not too hot as it can give skin burns. You have to be careful with this method.
This method is one of the easiest ones as you just need a mint toothpaste. The quicker you apply this method after receiving a hickey, the better results it would produce. As a justification for this method, research has shown that mint toothpaste can increase the penetration of blood. Lets see get rid of your hickey using a toothpaste
- Step 1: Apply a layer of toothpaste to the hickey. It would start to tingle and break up the blood-clot.
- Step 2: The itching would stop after a few minutes. Use a warm towel to remove the toothpaste from your skin.
- Step 3: Wash your skin with warm water.
If the redness reappears, you can repeat this method. Do not excessively reuse this method as it might be harmful for your skin. At least wait for 20 hours before reapplying the toothpaste to your skin.
The Coin Method to Remove a Hickey:
It is one of the most used methods but it can be a little painful.
- Step 1: Place your fingers around the hickey mark and stretch your skin outwards. Make sure that you stretch your skin as much as you can but not too much to cause distress.
- Step 2: Take a large coin; the larger the better. Now rub the edge of the coin on the red area sideways. Although it might cause a lot of pain but press the coin against your skin as hard as you can. It helps spreading the blood around and make the hickey less darker.
- Step 3: Keep rubbing it sideways for a minute or 2. It might leave some redness but it would disappear in 15-20 minutes.
Use Arnica Salve
Another way to remove a hickey is by applying Arnica Salve on the red blotch. It is a herbal cream that is believed to reduce the redness. It can repair the damaged capillaries, which can increase of blood penetration.
Applying Vitamin K cream and Aloe Vera cream
Vitamin K is normally used to heal bruises. It can absorb the blood that has gathered to cause a hickey. Applying the Vitamin K cream takes away the redness and makes the hickey less visible.
Aloe Vera is renowned to repair the damaged blood capillaries. It can thus result in increased blood penetration through the hickey area, hence making the hickey go away.
Massaging can result in increased blood circulation and clot break ups. It can also reduce the distress caused by a hickey. The more you massage, the better it is. Let us try and explain how can you make the hickeys go away by a simple massage. It is a natural and an easy method to get rid of a hickey.
- Step 1: Place a warm cloth or a towel over the hickey and remove it after a while.
- Step 2: Place your thumb and the index finger in middle of the hickey and gently move them outwards. What you are trying to do here is break the clots and move the blood outwards.
- Step 3: Massage it for a while and repeat the massaging twice or thrice a day.
1. Strawberries contain saliycylic acid which helps in blood thinning process. Blood thinners such as salicylic acids reduce swelling and can speed up getting rid of a hickey.
2. Fish oil contain Omega 3 fatty acids. These acids are blood thinners and reduce swelling. As per American Heart Association (AMH) recommendations, an intake of 1g per day can help you get rid of hickeys.
You may also like to read How to hide a hickey?
Let us know which method works for you.